5 Ways to Create Consistency in Your Accounting Workflows
Consistency throughout your workflow helps ensure accuracy, builds a solid foundation for success, improves staff and client experiences, and increases productivity. Here are some steps you can follow to establish consistent workflows in your practice:
- Standardize Your Processes: Document and standardize your core accounting processes by identifying key tasks and decision points and creating clear, step-by-step guidelines for carrying them out. This will help eliminate ambiguity and promote consistency.
- Write a Workflow Manual: Compile all the standardized processes, guidelines, and best practices into a comprehensive workflow manual. Make sure to include relevant material for your staff, like detailed instructions, examples, templates, and checklists. The manual should be easily accessible to your team, and you’ll need to update it regularly to reflect any changes in processes or regulations.
- Train Your Staff: Ensure your staff understand the processes and are familiar with the manual. Provide hands-on training with real-life and hypothetical scenarios. Training should be ongoing throughout the year, especially when there are updates or changes to workflows and staff.
- Use Technology: Leverage a document management system (DMS) for accountants to streamline workflows, enhance consistency, and automate manual tasks. A powerful DMS can automate intricate processes – like how you request and collect client documents – and “simpler” tasks like saving files. When your DMS can automatically route and save documents for you, it saves you time, maintains standardized file naming conventions, and effortlessly promotes logical organization across your entire firm. All this translates into consistency.
- Foster Communication and Collaboration: Encourage staff and clients to share best practices, lessons learned, and feedback on what processes are working and what areas can be improved. You can do this in weekly staff meetings, dedicated knowledge-sharing sessions, or through collaborative communication tools like Slack or Microsoft Teams.
Consistency is an ongoing effort, and it requires regular monitoring, adaptation to changes, and continuous improvement to meet evolving needs and industry standards. By following these steps and leveraging powerful accounting technology, you can create and maintain consistency in workflows across your practice.
Automatically and Effortlessly Organize Files with SmartRouting by SmartVault
SmartVault’s new feature, SmartRouting, intelligently routes and saves documents to the right location every time. SmartRouting promotes logical, effortless organization and consistency that helps your firm work smarter and faster. See SmartRouting in action.