SmartVault Accounting Firm Resources
SmartVault has compiled the following resources, specifically designed to help accounting firms introduce SmartVault to their clients:
- Accounting Firm Set Up Resources
- Client Set Up Resources
- Client Video Tutorials and Training
- Live Client Training
If you have suggestions for other resources that would help your firm, we would love to hear from you! Send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accounting Firm Set Up Resources
This section provides resources you can use to help you get your accounting firm set up on SmartVault.
Understanding SmartVault Licensing
As you think about how you want to use SmartVault, who will be adding and working with documents in your SmartVault account, and who you want to share documents with, it is important to choose the appropriate license for each person you invite to your account.
Billing Your Clients for Their Usage of the SmartVault Service
SmartVault is committed to helping you enhance your value to clients while keeping an eye on containing expenses. We fully support passing the cost of the SmartVault service to your clients in a way that best supports your practice. Many accounting firms bill their clients for their use of the SmartVault service in one of the following ways:
- Include the cost in a client service bundle. The additional services you can offer clients by using SmartVault can be used to enhance the value of your overall client service offering. Combine the cost of SmartVault with other services you provide as part of a client service bundle.
- Pass the cost as a line item. The cost of the monthly SmartVault service can be added as a line item on your invoices. Keep in mind that clients can see retail pricing on our web site so SmartVault does not recommend charging more than retail price.
- Charge clients for scanning documents. You can charge clients per-document fees for scanning documents, similar to how attorneys charge per copy or fax page. You could also charge a per-document processing fee.
- Bill a “document management” or “technology” fee quarterly. You can combine the cost for the SmartVault service along with other services your provide to your clients into a quarterly bill.
Setting Up your Vault and Folder Structure: Examples and Best Practices
You can organize your vault and folder structure in the way that works best for you and your clients and meets your business needs. Based on our work with clients, we’ve put together several examples of ways you can choose to organize your vaults and folders. We’ve also put together some best practices for you to consider as you create your vault and folder structure and configure security for your documents.
Working with Documents
In SmartVault, there are several different ways you can quickly and easily upload documents, scan and upload documents, view and download documents, and edit documents. We’ve put together a comprehensive overview that helps you quickly understand how you can work with documents using the SmartVault client portal, SmartVault Drive, and SmartVault Inbox.
Using SmartVault in Hosted QuickBooks Environments
Using SmartVault in hosted QuickBooks environments is easy, but there are a few key items that are helpful for you to understand if you or your clients work in a hosted QuickBooks environment.
Client Set Up Resources
This section provides resources you can use to help you introduce the value of SmartVault to your clients.
For example, since many of the accounting firms we work with have found that it is very helpful to send out an email to their clients when they are ready to introduce their clients to SmartVault, we have provided two sample emails that you can copy, paste, edit, and then send out to your clients as appropriate.
Sample Email for Clients Using the SmartVault Client Portal (Guest Users)
Use this sample copy to help you introduce the value of SmartVault to your clients and the benefits they will get from the service you are providing to them. This also gives your clients information on how they will set up their SmartVault user ID.
Note: This copy is designed for clients you intend to share and exchange documents with using only the SmartVault Client portal. For example, this letter is for clients who will be using the portal to view and work with documents related to financial statements, tax returns, etc.
Sample Email for Clients Using the SmartVault Desktop Software (Client Users)
Use this sample copy to help you introduce the value of SmartVault to your clients and the benefits they will get from the service you are providing to them. This also gives your clients information on how they will set up their SmartVault user ID and download the SmartVault desktop software.
Note: This copy is designed for clients that you purchase client or user licenses for, and who will utilize the SmartVault Toolbar plug-in for QuickBooks, the SmartVault Drive (for uploading and accessing documents using a mapped drive) and the SmartVault Inbox (for scanning and uploading documents for later processing by the client or by the firm).
SmartVault Security and Data Privacy Overview
If your clients have questions about the security and privacy of their data, you can send them a link to the SmartVault Security Overview page on the SmartVault web site at http://www.smartvault.com/security/.
Client Video Tutorials and Training
We have created short video tutorials and training materials that you can share with your clients to help them start using SmartVault.
For example, you could provide links to these training and enablement resources and videos from your web site to help your clients get started with SmartVault.
- Installing the SmartVault Desktop software
- Creating SmartVault ScanSnap Profiles for Fujitsu ScanSnap Scanners
- Scanning Documents into Folders Using the SmartVault Inbox and Fujitsu ScanSnap Scanners
- Scanning Documents into Folders Using the SmartVault Inbox and TWAIN-Compliant (Regular) Scanners
- Mapping a SmartVault Drive on Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server Computers
- Mapping a SmartVault Drive on Windows Computers
- Sending and Copying Links
- Specifying Time Zones
Live Client Training
Want to offer your clients live training on SmartVault, but not sure you have the time or expertise? Let a SmartVault training specialist help!
SmartVault offers training sessions for firm users, clients, and guests in a SmartVault account. There is no cost for these training sessions for customers on a SmartVault Team or Professional plan.
Client Training Options
If you are interested in working with a SmartVault training specialist to offer training to your clients, you can choose from one of the following options:
- You can lead the training session, but have a SmartVault training specialist available during the session to answer any in-depth questions that may come up as needed.
- You can introduce, or “kick-off” the training session, but then turn the session over to a SmartVault training specialist, who will lead participants through the rest of the session. In this scenario, you are available to answer any firm-specific questions around workflow and usage, but the SmartVault training specialist covers the majority of the technical training.
If you would like to discuss these options with a SmartVault training specialist, email a SmartVault Training Specialist with your questions or call 1-866-674-6785.
Note: If you need help with these items, for more information see the SmartVault Getting Started Guides and the SmartVault User Guide or schedule a SmartVault training session for yourself with a SmartVault training specialist.